North East F-Body Association

North East F-Body Association (http://www.northeastf-bodyassn.com/index.php)
-   Slowhawk Performance (http://www.northeastf-bodyassn.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Common questions and answers (http://www.northeastf-bodyassn.com/showthread.php?t=5118)

Slowhawk 08-30-2013 05:09 PM

Common questions and answers

Figured I'd start this post for people to ask LSX type of questions on what parts work ect. This is not a "how much" type of thread.

Throughout the years I see people just throw money out buying parts that don't work. Everybody out there sell parts by "HP claims". Some work but a lot don't.

Slowhawk 08-30-2013 05:12 PM

First- Headers

There is a lot more to them than just tube size, design makes a big difference on power/torque.

I prefer 304 stainless headers due to the long life. There are company's like ARH, Kooks and even TSP that have decent systems that will also last a long time.

The coated mild steel headers always rust and begin to rot. This greatly affects how the 02's work.

Tuning for headers- they can be tuned to pass emission testing- plug in test.

ZFreie 08-30-2013 05:16 PM

What about a list of brands in your first post that you prefer to work with when dealing with lsx?

Slowhawk 08-30-2013 05:18 PM

MAFs-
The stock F-body MAF can easily handle 400rwhp without being a restriction. Pull the screen for 420-460rwhp which can gain 5hp.

A good upgrade is a GM 85mm MAF with screen. These can handle 500rwhp with no restriction. Over that you should be looking at Speed density anyways.

From a tuner's point

MAF's with screens are the best to tune. The screen straightens the airflow to make the MAF curve linier and easy to tune in at speeds/idle.

ported or the famous maf ends can be the biggest bitch to tune in right since the airflow is all over the place at different speeds. The fuel trims will vary by load/speed/idle. Can be tuned in to work OK but the difference can be felt at transitions which can be spotty.

Slowhawk 08-30-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZFreie (Post 82645)
What about a list of brands in your first post that you prefer to work with when dealing with lsx?

ARH- if you have to have cats. The fit is great, no frame hitting and awesome ground clearance.

TSP- great budget header and fit's good if no cats are used. Some welding is required if you want a leak free fit.

Slowhawk 08-30-2013 05:22 PM

First suggested bolt-ons

M6 car-
Air lid
cutout or cat-back exhaust
headers
Gears

Auto car
air lid
cutout or cat-back
headers
stall converter
Gears

SLP IROC-Z 08-30-2013 06:03 PM

How about a ported throttle body

Blue01Z 08-30-2013 06:12 PM

posted a question in the 4th gen section yesterday, my car being an A4, what are the pro's and con's to a 9inch vs a 12bolt? Thankyou!

Slowhawk 08-30-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLP IROC-Z (Post 82649)
How about a ported throttle body

Ported throttle body is a 6-8hp/4-5tq gain on a stock car. Good mod.

Now watch out for - over ported throttle body's. Seen a lot of them. They will cause hanging idle's ect.

epoxied vs reg ported - no hp gain with epoxy. Might look better but I have seen the epoxy fall out before and get sucked into motors.

Slowhawk 08-30-2013 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue01Z (Post 82650)
posted a question in the 4th gen section yesterday, my car being an A4, what are the pro's and con's to a 9inch vs a 12bolt? Thankyou!

There is really no difference for your combo. 9" can be a stronger rear with the correct parts.12 bolts can handle 1000hp too.

Now, how they fit and the correct suspension angles is a different story.

We recommend Midwest 9". The rear is built correctly, suspension angle's are spot on and it fit's in the car without hitting anything. (unless lowered a lot)