North East F-Body Association

North East F-Body Association (http://www.northeastf-bodyassn.com/index.php)
-   LT1/TPI/TBI (http://www.northeastf-bodyassn.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   funny and sad at the same time... (http://www.northeastf-bodyassn.com/showthread.php?t=3656)

DemonWithin99 01-13-2012 08:35 AM

funny and sad at the same time...

well My cousin called me panicking the other day about his car. after he finally calmed down and called me back today he tells me what happened and what he did.

1st he cried about the motor knocking and not responding then shutting down. started up fine but once it warmed up it happened again.

(I figured fuel pump)
so I ran through a few other diagnostics over the phone with him untill he admts something funny, and sad at the same time.

"I only had $20 to put gas in the car so I put Reg in it."

after I un-muted him so he didn't hear me laughing I told him he's retarded and that I'll see what I can find out. Even though I'm certain that it is detonating, then the knock sensor is doing it's job knowing how hot that motor gets and how he drives with a heavy foot.

so now he has about a half tank of reg gas in an LT1 w/lt4 hotcam, tuned for premium. other than emptying the tank the only other thing I can think of is top it off with 93octane and/or a lot of octane booster (which I know really isn't all that good)

any thoughts?

I'm at a loss here I just can't keep from laughing at his stupidity every time he does something he shouldn't.

holokosta 01-13-2012 01:11 PM

Ha.... Just out Curiosity... Did he himself have the car tuned and had the cam installed?

Grovlet 01-13-2012 04:41 PM

I would think if he stays off the go-go pedal, and fills it up with Premium he'll be fine.

Octane Booster probably won't help, as most of them only raise the octane 1/10th of a point, so you'll need to add way to much to make it matter.....

It's really not worth the effort to drain the tank, just need to keep it from detonating by driving it easy until you can run through the 'Regular' gas.

Formula413 01-13-2012 06:18 PM

It should have low octane spark tables unless they were removed in the tune. Best bet is to baby it through this tank then top off with 93, unless you have race gas close by.

KLAB 01-13-2012 10:16 PM

add octane booster???

Formula413 01-14-2012 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KLAB (Post 60410)
add octane booster???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grovlet (Post 60402)
Octane Booster probably won't help, as most of them only raise the octane 1/10th of a point, so you'll need to add way to much to make it matter.....

:emot-sotw:

DemonWithin99 01-14-2012 09:23 AM

I believe it's a box tune by PCM4less. I'm sure he'll run it no matter what anyone tells him anyway. without half a brain one can make it through life only so far...

ILuvPizzaTimes10 01-15-2012 02:12 PM

this isnt the same ass hat with the formula?

c4boom 01-15-2012 03:20 PM

go get 3-4 gallons of c 114

DemonWithin99 01-15-2012 04:03 PM

no that asshat id my bro, and the formy is under cover here at my house. he's just a broke ass who can't afford to fix what broke.

the idiot in question is my cousin. always blames others for his car issues even though the motor is solidly built, all the poor maintenance or lack there of on his part, as well as the aging electrical system the typical shit keeps breaking down. and like I expected he never called me on my day off yesterday, so he'll end up going to a shop and getting charged for his ignorance. fine with me.