North East F-Body Association

North East F-Body Association (http://www.northeastf-bodyassn.com/index.php)
-   Third Generation (http://www.northeastf-bodyassn.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   TH350 steel vacuum line? (http://www.northeastf-bodyassn.com/showthread.php?t=1481)

Phantomht 07-25-2010 01:40 AM

TH350 steel vacuum line?

well. i ended up 86'ing the 700R4 and im in the process of trying to install a TH350. if anyone else has done this, got any tips/suggestions? im stuck right now trying to figure out if i can pick up a steel vacuum line going from the trans to my 4150 carb, or should i just use 1/8" teflon line?

My84Z 07-25-2010 03:30 AM

why bother? just make it a full manual valve body.

ILuvPizzaTimes10 07-25-2010 04:24 AM

is it a lock up th350 or non lock up? first off. use rubber hose the steel is just a pita. what are you using for a DS and torque arm mount? the stock shaft for the 700 wont fit its too short. i know b&m used to make a torque arm bracket to bolt on the back of a th350 But im sure with all the crossmember shit thats come out they stopped making it. and be SURE to properly adjust the TV cable. if you dont the tranny WILL fail. ask me how i know

irockidz28 07-25-2010 04:26 AM

^how do you know??? lol

84ta406 07-25-2010 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILuvPizzaTimes10 (Post 25591)
is it a lock up th350 or non lock up? first off. use rubber hose the steel is just a pita. what are you using for a DS and torque arm mount? the stock shaft for the 700 wont fit its too short. i know b&m used to make a torque arm bracket to bolt on the back of a th350 But im sure with all the crossmember shit thats come out they stopped making it. and be SURE to properly adjust the TV cable. if you dont the tranny WILL fail. ask me how i know

The 700r4 driveshaft will work with a 9" tailshaft th350, however its very rare to actually see someone use one.I have a long shaft here that you can have if you send it to a shop to be shortened. B&M still makes the kit for the th350 but no longer for the th400. You're best bet is to get the conversion crosmember like I have for my th400. Also like pizza said just use rubber lines, not steel. Also dont forget to get the kickdown bracket if you're using a non factory carb.

Phantomht 07-25-2010 06:48 PM

torque arm is not an issue, im using S&W SFCs that has its own toque arm mount and drive shaft loop.
yes im aware i have to have my drive shaft lengthened, hopefully in the next couple weeks.
im also using a Carb Shop holly 4150 and was told if i use rubber vacuum line from the tans to the carb it will collapse in on itself? which is why im lookin to either use teflon line or steel for the most part.
im also not using the kickdown cable [TH350 doesnt use a TV cable], my camaro is more strip than street so i can down shift manually if i need too. do it that way most of the time anyway.
and... if i could have afforded a full manual body i would have, but cant. yet. transbrakes and all that in the near future when im done with school and back to working again.

84ta406 07-26-2010 02:15 AM

Good luck finding a pace to lengthen a shaft. 99% will only shorten.

What I meant by rubber line is something like a teflon line like a small air hose. I wouldnt go down shiting too much though. My trans has a manual VB with no kick down or anything and I was told not to down shift, esp. 3-2. When I drive mine I go through the gears and will only downshift is I absolutely need to or some to a compete stop. My trans didnt like the 2-1 down the few times I did it.

Phantomht 07-26-2010 04:58 PM

yeh, i kinda said that wrong, meant downshifting when passing someone, which is the only thing that cable does.

i ended up buying some teflon line, should get here in the next couple days.
line is coming as a coil, so i might run it thru some rubber hose when installing to help straighten it out and give it some more protection?

really hoping to get to my cam break in within the next couple weeks : )
then ill have to reinstall the inner springs.

car hasnt been running since summer of 2006. starting to wonder if any of the gaskets and stuff in the carb are dried out and useless as well. guess i will find out soon enuf, amirite?

84ta406 07-26-2010 10:15 PM

I've had mine running off and on more off than anything for the past 4 years, the gaskets will be fine.

DAWG 07-27-2010 07:05 PM

dammit do it right and get a steel line for christ sakes!
the rubber hose dont work (collapses and melts near exhaust) and if you wanna go ahead and not run a line then go ahead and youll replace the tranny before too long.
dont be a hack!
It cost me 8 bucks for a steel tranny vacum line and 5 mins to bend it.