Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 0
Default Need some T56 tranny advice

Looking to do something with my tranny this winter. When I got the car it shifted fantastic with the stock clutch. The first time I drove the car I was quick shifting it because it was so comfortable. (first of all I never owned a manual car before so although I could drive stick it was still pretty rough. Ask don it took me a couple times to get it on the trailer the first time I brought it to his shop)

After I put the oz700 clutch in I never could get that feel again. and the clutch barely disengages. I just dont think the hydraulic system in the rx7 is either not functioning properly or dont have the capability. It disengages the clutch at the floor and quick shifting it is a damn chore. I think this is mostly the clutch and hydraulics, although the tranny when cold is clunky and it wont go into reverse no matter how hard you try. Once it warms up though I can get it in reverse and it shifts fine. So I dont think if it was really a transmission issue it being warm wouldent effect it. Anyway this winter I'm going to rebuild the tranny.

heres the 2 scenarios I need help with
First of all I need to figure out if I should just get a basic rebuild or step up to a tick stage 2 rebuild (I really dont want to spend the money right now and I dont see myself doing much drag racing next season because I dont really have a class to race in) So I dont think I need the stage 2 now. It seems that drag racing is just way more abusive than other forms of racing and thus so far more expensive. Autox and road racing may have a higher cost of entry but they usually only eat wear items like tires and brakes.

And the second scenario is that I can buy a t56 that needs a rebuild for 500$
Here is the sellers description

"I have a 00 T-56 trans out of a Camaro, it comes with the bellhousing, slave cyl. and stock shifter. Everything in the trans is good besides the 2nd gear syncros. You can spin the input shaft and the output shaft turns as normal in all gears including reverse besides 2nd gear. When it was in the Camaro 2nd would grind and not go in. I will take some pictures later this week. I would prefer pickup but I go to PA every few months so I may be able to meet up with someone. I could put the trans on a pallet and ship it out to anyone. Please send me a zip for a shipping quote.
"

I am highly thinking about picking up this tranny because I can prob sell my current unit for at leask 1000$ seeing as it does have under 25K miles on it.
And get this tranny rebuilt and prob have a rebuilt tranny for little money, but the risk is not being able to sell my current tranny, and i dont know how bad this unit needs to be rebuilt. The advantage is that I could save hundreds of dollars. I think I should be able to move the current tranny though as I could let people try the tranny before I pull it, and have don rebuild the other tranny at the same time. Then when I sell the one in the car, swap in the rebuilt unit. Most likely with a stage 3 monster but I'm really affraid the monster will have the same shitty low engagement/disengagement point. The stock clutches seem to be really high allowing you to just tap the clutch to get into the next gear.. Shouldent a high performance clutch be this way too but I've never run into one like that. Wtf gives?
Old 01-15-2010, 12:20 AM
YOUR ALL GUNNA DIE!!!

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 192
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 587
Dislikes (Given): 25
Dislikes (Received): 83

i think you need to run a spacer behind your throw-out bearing/slave cylinder.

1998 Firebird:buncha parts thats used to make it go fast..... not so much anymore.
BAAAAAA!!!!!!
Old 01-15-2010, 12:28 AM
Rolling with over 50 posts

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Dislikes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvPizzaTimes10 View Post
i think you need to run a spacer behind your throw-out bearing/slave cylinder.
I checked the measurements and they were within .1" of each other. Don said if I remember correctly a shim wouldent do anything as long as the measurements are within .25"
Old 01-15-2010, 12:29 AM
YOUR ALL GUNNA DIE!!!

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 192
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 587
Dislikes (Given): 25
Dislikes (Received): 83

well that sounds just like you need a spacer to me. its holding Just closed enough to shift like crap. and with you having no other adjustments then that. id say throw a spacer in there cheap. and if the problem goes away SWEETTTT. if not then plan-B

1998 Firebird:buncha parts thats used to make it go fast..... not so much anymore.
BAAAAAA!!!!!!
Old 01-15-2010, 12:48 AM
F-Body Super-hero

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 2
Dislikes (Received): 4

I agree with Pizza, although an upgraded Master would be a good idea. As for the tranny you are looking at $500.00 is a good price for a spare, but i would expect to have to rebuild it completely (synchros, blockers, shift forks) in which case it may be easier just to send yours out to RSG or D&D to be upgraded. I'd try the shim first and then the master and see what happens.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:29 PM
The Detailer

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 162
Dislikes (Given): 3
Dislikes (Received): 3

Well eaither way your going to end up spending some coin. I just had my t56 gone through because 2nd gear was toast. They replaced 2nd gear, 1-2 shift fork, slider assym, and did some other misc stuff with it. It cost me 925 out the door. Unfortunatly parts arent cheep and niether is labor. Talk to Don about it. He did my tranny the first time and he was pretty reasonable too.

Oh yeah I just put in a Monster stg 3 and love it. The peddle feel is a little firmer than stock and it disengages about 1/2 way. And I did a brand new stock master with the drill mod and a new stock slave. No issues what so ever.

New Toy - 06 Torrid Red Gto M6. 231/242 cam, Kooks, magnaflow, GForce, Monster stg2, lingenfelter cai, 411rwhp 385rwtq. 12.40@111