Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 8
Thanks (Received): 19
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 74
Dislikes (Given): 12
Dislikes (Received): 4
Default Lowering on a budget ?

Ok, now that it's finally all nice and shiny the Camaro really needs to come down a little in height. I've been fighting it cause I love not scraping everywhere but the wheel gap just does the rest of the look no justice lol.

Anyhow, as with everything else on this car I want to lower it as cheaply as possible. I'd like to see at least an inch, if not two.
I figure I'll start with the "heater hose mod". In practice what is that really worth? I hear an inch but is the factory isolator really that thick? Never had a 4th gen one out and in my hands.
Then, next step, whack out a coil or a half a coil from the springs? My only issue is I like how the car rides now. How much harsher is that going to make it ride? A little bit I don't mind much but I don't want it to ride like a tank. Opinions from those that have done it please on that one.
Lastly, am I going to wind up needing lca relocation brackets?
I think I about covered it there. So, opinion away please. I'm all ears. I'm thinking this and a set of strano sway bars and I'm good to go handling wise.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:02 AM
F-Body Super-hero

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Dislikes (Given): 0

If you are going to take the springs out put in drop springs. The heater hose mod is not going to give you an inch. I'd also be skeptical if you can get 2 inches without major work and not have the wheels off camber or rubbing. A set of drop springs is going to be the cheapest and easiest way to get about 1.5"es
Old 09-24-2010, 12:30 PM
Turbocharged

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Received): 57
Dislikes (Received): 2

Some cars are different, depends on there "history" and how hard there springs where worked , and the current wieght of the car. my transam actually did drop slightly more then an inch in the back with the heater hose mod, drives the same havnt had any problems in 3 years. Had the springs out last month and the heater hose wasnt even rubbed through. Very worth worth the 15 minutes in my opinion. also keeps your spring rate so your ride doesnt change.

Now for the front , id buy lowering springs. Ive never cut springs but ive rode in cars that had it done and they rode way to stiff of course this is ALL in my opionin. hope this helps
Old 09-24-2010, 02:45 PM
Moderbator
Asteroids Champion

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 141
Likes (Received): 647
Dislikes (Received): 39

I will 2nd what they said and recommend getting springs. But any method of lowering except the heater hose mod will change the spring rate and make it ride hasher. I could actually lower my car all around with the stock springs if I wanted to, because I have Konis which have a lower perch in front, and I could do the heater hose mod in the back. But I dont want to give up clearence.

GRAMMAR HOW-TO
Old 09-24-2010, 02:56 PM
Build,beat,break,repeat..

Post Thanks / Like

And while I would normally agree about not cutting springs I started considering it when slowhawk mentioned that's his preferred method of lowering. Made me think it may not be all that bad on the 4th gens
Old 09-24-2010, 04:33 PM
Post Whore

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Received): 55
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 7

as long as you don't go nuts cutting 1/2-1 coil off isn't bad. remember a lower spring is going to need to be stiffer any ways just so that you don't bottom out all the time. any lowering spring will rid stiffer than stock.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:43 PM
YOUR ALL GUNNA DIE!!!

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 192
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 587
Dislikes (Given): 25
Dislikes (Received): 83

cutting off a coil will lower the car but it will bottom out easier as the installed hieght has changed but the rate has staid the same. its good if your looking for a half inch ish but will hit if your looking for lower. a GOOD set of shocks and progressively wound springs wont hit nearly as hard as a straight lowering spring. if it were my car and i was going for an inch or better id get a set of springs and be done with it BUT thats me.

1998 Firebird:buncha parts thats used to make it go fast..... not so much anymore.
BAAAAAA!!!!!!
Old 09-24-2010, 05:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like

I've just heard so many horror stories of lowering springs giving a horrible ride. If it's going to ride like ass I don't want to pay money for it lol.

I know the end all be all way would be a full set of coil overs with custom spring rates but I'm NOT going to spend that kind of money on this car. I honestly don't care enough about it. Super budget bang for the buck all the way here. That formula has been working great so far on this project

So, in thinking heater hose mod and whack out a half a coil? Is there a similar sized isolator in the front or is it a lot thinner up front?
Think that'll get me at least an inch to inch and a half?
Old 09-24-2010, 06:14 PM
Moderbator
Asteroids Champion

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 141
Likes (Received): 647
Dislikes (Received): 39

The spring isolator in the front isnt a simple round flat piece like the rear, you couldnt replace it with a piece of hose like the rear. You could try the cutting method, the worst that can happen is you will bottom out occasionaly.

GRAMMAR HOW-TO
Old 09-24-2010, 07:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula413 View Post
The spring isolator in the front isnt a simple round flat piece like the rear, you couldnt replace it with a piece of hose like the rear. You could try the cutting method, the worst that can happen is you will bottom out occasionaly.
Hmm, well alrighty then. About how much height will I lose if I just chop off one full coil on both ends and call it a day?
I suppose worst case I try it and if it sucks I go buy springs anyhow