Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 0
Default I've got a crazy idea someone talk some sense into me

I just saw some pics that got me pretty excited about working on the rx7 again.. especially seeing how its been feeling kinda slow lately.

These pics are giving me some bad ideas.

Having this crazy idea that this looks pretty easy and thinking about attempting this myself.. but would like to see if you guys know anyone locally who is talented that I could bounce the idea off as well.

Don your usually right but you said if I try to do my own turbo kit I'll prob have an engine fire and burn the car to the ground. This would be one time I would hope your wrong.

If I can do this myself with a basic turbo like a MP T70 just to get the most out of the stock shortblock it'll be too fast for me and prob still less than a procharger setup.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:38 AM
Post Whore

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Received): 55
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 7

the one thing that you may want to look into is figuring out some way to fit a intercooler
Old 11-05-2009, 04:54 AM
Rolling with over 50 posts

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4boom View Post
the one thing that you may want to look into is figuring out some way to fit a intercooler
Yeah I could put the intercooler in front of the radiator (lots of space) or even lay the intercooler flat under the car parallel to the ground, so any air coming up from under the car into the engine compartment would get forced through it.

So I would have to mount that turbo a little differently.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:58 AM
YOUR ALL GUNNA DIE!!!

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 192
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 587
Dislikes (Given): 25
Dislikes (Received): 83

unless your DAMN good with butt welding madrel sections together. and have all the right tools and knowledge. AND you dont cheap out on the equipment. then id say your good BUT if you skip any of those steps OR cheap out i can see bad things happen fast. IE China Turbos. or cheap cheasy cooler piping all can ruin your engine in a matter of a few seconds on start up if not 100% properly setup before hand.

1998 Firebird:buncha parts thats used to make it go fast..... not so much anymore.
BAAAAAA!!!!!!
Old 11-05-2009, 05:18 AM

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvPizzaTimes10 View Post
unless your DAMN good with butt welding madrel sections together. and have all the right tools and knowledge. AND you dont cheap out on the equipment. then id say your good BUT if you skip any of those steps OR cheap out i can see bad things happen fast. IE China Turbos. or cheap cheasy cooler piping all can ruin your engine in a matter of a few seconds on start up if not 100% properly setup before hand.
Just like everything I do.. cheap but as cheap as possible without directly compromising reliability.

So this is what I'm thinking. Get cheap 110v mig welder (need one anyway) just tack together things and then bring it somewhere to get welded professionally, or have a friend of the family do it. I hear hes a welder but have no idea of his actual area of specialty ect havent talked to him about it yet or seen his work.

Thinking something like a Master power T70 (a cheap turbo but not some ebay junk) Something just big enough to max out the stock bottom end.

Wastegate (something good) whatever comes up used on supraforums or something.

Bov (something decent) same thing

16 ga/ 14 ga mandrel 2.5" bends off ebay my table saw/angle grinder my digital angle finder and my trained eye (lol just kiddin about the last one thats an oxymoron)

Ebay intercooler (proven to be just as good as the high dollar units for 1/2 the price)

braided stainless oil lines with AN fittings. Oil feed tapped off my oil filter sandwich and return line tapped on the pan.

fuel (injectors whatever don suggests, and then add a 2nd walbro 255 and utilize another of the factory hard lines to double capacity of the system.

Simple manual boost controller (the evo guys running 20-40lbs of boost swear by these saying they are actually better than most of those fancy digital units and half the price)

Gauges.. whatever comes up or autometers that match what I have. If I get it tuned by don I shouldent need a wideband but its never a bad idea.

Tuning done by don of course.

Adding this stuff up depending on how much material I destroy and how much the welding costs.. I think it would still come in under the cost of a procharger.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:26 AM
YOUR ALL GUNNA DIE!!!

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 192
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 587
Dislikes (Given): 25
Dislikes (Received): 83

about half of that list is OK first off dont cheap out on the turbo thats your first and biggest mistake. i sed NO china turbos!!!! all you need is to get a bad one out of the box wich has happened it shoots Shards of impeller into your engine and then what? Just saying think long and hard before you just go head first and blow your shit up. get a real turbo thats the only thing i can say about it.

1998 Firebird:buncha parts thats used to make it go fast..... not so much anymore.
BAAAAAA!!!!!!
Old 11-05-2009, 03:09 PM
Do It In A Third Gen

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 47
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 242
Likes (Received): 105
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 6

take the time..save the money and do it right it will be worth it in the long run

1986 Camaro Iroc z28 305 TPI 700R4
-hooker-edelbrock 1 5/8" shorty headers-1.6 roller rockers-52mm TB-3.23 10 bolt- ...191rwhp/280rwtq...14.97@90.5 2.04 60'

2005 GMC Sierra 2500 LLY Duramax -exhaust-gauges-leveled-wheels-tune-egr delete....339rwhp/637rwtq
Old 11-05-2009, 03:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvPizzaTimes10 View Post
about half of that list is OK first off dont cheap out on the turbo thats your first and biggest mistake. i sed NO china turbos!!!! all you need is to get a bad one out of the box wich has happened it shoots Shards of impeller into your engine and then what? Just saying think long and hard before you just go head first and blow your shit up. get a real turbo thats the only thing i can say about it.
Master power turbos are not chineese crap. The T70 is the most common turbo found on most basic 302 turbo setups. They are not the best but perfectly reliable and can be had for 500-600$ all day. Also their good for 500-600whp

Very basic turbo. If I find a good deal on a TC76 or TC78 I'de prob go that way instead but for my needs I dont really need that.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:32 PM
The ass who loves his car

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 71
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 345
Likes (Received): 159
Dislikes (Given): 7
Dislikes (Received): 3

that things gonna be a monster...

99' T/A A4 i got parts!!!
Tuned by GOD @ Slowhawk Performance.
325rwhp 333rwtq

"Fifty years from now, when you're looking back at your life, don't you want to be able to say you had the guts to get in the car?"

Quote:
Posted by Slowhawk: You dream the life of testing cars, I live it
Old 11-06-2009, 02:53 PM
choking the wrench

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 55
Likes (Received): 250
Dislikes (Received): 5

It can be done but's it's more work than you think.A Procharger setup will be cheaper and take alot less time.