Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 0
Default What to do while the motor is out

Trying to maximize the upgrades I'm doing and do the most with the least. I am deff getting a custom grind from don with some valvesprings (I know dons got a 224 cam in mind which still sounds small to me, but I trust his judgement) but while the motor was out I was gonna also port match the intake/heads and port match the exhaust ports. Dont know if I'll see any significant gains. I was also thinkin about milling the 241 heads and/or picking up some 243 heads. Milled 243s would leave a thin deck but I dont think it would be a problem if the car stayed NA and if it didnt it wouldent cost much to go back to stock 241 heads or 243 heads.

I dont think it costs much at all to mill the heads but picking the right pushrod length much be a pain, and I'm not sure how much it would actually gain.

Hoping the car is a 10 second car next year all motor, and I'll run it at the track even if its only 1/8th mile (still no roll bar) and then if the air is good and I feel it hook I'll go for 10s and make it the last run of the night just to get the slip.

Also still have the nitrous just sitting in the garage, dont know if I actually wanna use it at 6$/lb.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:26 AM
YOUR ALL GUNNA DIE!!!

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 192
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 587
Dislikes (Given): 25
Dislikes (Received): 83

i would really stay away from gasket/port matching the heads for what you gian verses what you can potentially fuck up if your doing it your self leave it alone. as far as decking heads? for what a little more compression? id leave that alone as well. im not a fan of LS1 head gasket retention as it is BUT as you sed if you stay N/A your fine. But wen you mentioned Spray. thats a whol;e new ball game. and the cylinder pressures are what would scare me with decked heads that wont really net that much power over stock anyway. id say cam it with some good rockers. and if your gunna touch heads just buy some ported stockers or trick flows.

1998 Firebird:buncha parts thats used to make it go fast..... not so much anymore.
BAAAAAA!!!!!!
Old 03-03-2010, 02:45 AM
F-Body Super-hero

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 2
Dislikes (Received): 4

Ummm, what's wrong with LS1 gasket retention?

I agree about the heads, I'd just leave them alone or get a set of 243's if you are on the cheap. A 224 cam is a very good all around cam I bet you'll really like. What's done to the bottom end? If it is all stock I'd at the very least get some ARP rod bolts in there, if it is a pre 00 shortblock especially. 01-02 is a little better but the rod bolts are the weak point in the bottom end. If you are going to be spraying head studs are a good idea also. Timing chain? Oil Pump?
Old 03-03-2010, 02:56 AM
YOUR ALL GUNNA DIE!!!

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 192
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 587
Dislikes (Given): 25
Dislikes (Received): 83

classic sbc's dont need studs to hold the heads down. 5 bolts per hole. LS1's have 4 and like to leak under some cylinder pressure. N/A there fine. anything more serious in pressures either 100+ shot or 8-12 PSI and they wont hold down with out a good set of gaskets and studs. i do believe its the reason the LSX block is so popular with the extra 2 bolts per cylinder to make it a total of 6.

1998 Firebird:buncha parts thats used to make it go fast..... not so much anymore.
BAAAAAA!!!!!!
Old 03-03-2010, 02:34 PM
choking the wrench

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 55
Likes (Received): 250
Dislikes (Received): 5

I said 224 Cam? Must of been for a FI setup. For NA I ussually go bigger.
I agree with not gasket matching anything.There will be no real gain and could possibly hurt power if not done right.If you want the ultimate I would do the Cam and a set of TSP 5.3L heads that we sell.They are $1250 -when you take off the $300 valve springs they really are just $900 more. -if you mill the stock heads that can be 100-200 so take that off and the new heads are only $700.

Truthfully-you should be doing a 6 point rollbar to be ready for this season.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:46 PM
Rolling with over 50 posts

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhawk View Post
I said 224 Cam? Must of been for a FI setup. For NA I ussually go bigger.
I agree with not gasket matching anything.There will be no real gain and could possibly hurt power if not done right.If you want the ultimate I would do the Cam and a set of TSP 5.3L heads that we sell.They are $1250 -when you take off the $300 valve springs they really are just $900 more. -if you mill the stock heads that can be 100-200 so take that off and the new heads are only $700.

Truthfully-you should be doing a 6 point rollbar to be ready for this season.
Yeah I know but I'll be going another season at least before swapping chassis. This chassis isnt worth putting a roll bar in. I'll play around in the cones, and the corners for another year, and hopefully they'll let me race at import wars again in the 11.50 class. If they do, I'll just pat the gas the entire way down the strip and stay a fender ahead. The car was fast enough to win last year I just missed a shift.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:54 AM
Rolling with over 50 posts

Post Thanks / Like

Don I dont know if I have the budget for the heads now but if I did,

these look like a real good deal based off what I've heard of TEA heads
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/parts-...02-1-57-a.html

What do you think these or the TSPs would actually pick up in the quarter over just a cam car?
Old 03-04-2010, 02:02 AM
F-Body Super-hero

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 2
Dislikes (Received): 4

weren't they having issues with the TEA heads at some point? Depending on the heads you can see gains of .5 or more in the 1/4