Old-Skool Hot-Rodder

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 5
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 0
Default The Beast has a new pair of shoes!

After sitting dormant for 3 weeks, two weeks on jackstands... I FINALLY got my rear wheels set up with the new tires and wheels. I had bought a set of forged Budnik Famosa's from one of the guys on the Pro-Touring forum. Chris shipped me two boxes, each containing two wheels. Package #1 arrived about 2-1/2 weeks ago, and I bought 4 tires, had the front's mounted, put the car up on jackstands expecting package #2 the next day. Unfortunately, UPS lost the package for 10 days, then when they arrive, both rears were damaged. Looked like somebody rammed the package into something tougher than aluminum... had two flat spots. We started claims work, and I took the wheels to Jay over at Connecticut Wheel Repair. Got the rears back last night, they look like new again. He's got talent (and tools). I gave the wheels a hand-polish with billet cream this morning, then dropped them off to be mounted. So I got them mounted/balanced, put them on and finally got to take it for a drive. All is well except for that sharp turn up the driveway LOL. Same old same old.

Tires are Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's and these are summer performance tires. I wanted something that was aggressive but not drag radials, didn't want a all-season tire because I never intentionally drive in the rain. These tires have received rave reviews, Corvette owners especially love them. Not a true autocross tire, but definitely a handling tire.

Fronts are 245/45-17 and the rare are 275/40-17. The front rims are 8" wide with 4-3/4" BS, the rears are 9.5" wide with 5-1/2" BS. I really like these rims because of the splined "hubcap" design... the lugs are hidden, and the hex centers are knock-offs.

The new tires and rims put a much bigger footprint on the ground front and rear. Thats pretty much it for 2017 LOL... although I still have the Vintage Air and the RS conversion stuff sitting in the garage. Got to get some decent heat in there!
Old 11-16-2017, 02:37 AM
Moderbator
Asteroids Champion

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 141
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 647
Dislikes (Received): 39

Looks boss

GRAMMAR HOW-TO
Old 11-16-2017, 01:32 PM
Post Whore

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 101
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 180
Dislikes (Given): 12
Dislikes (Received): 2

That makes the stand out a lot more. I like it a lot.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:47 PM
Old-Skool Hot-Rodder

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 5
Dislikes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula413 View Post
Looks boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankzlt1 View Post
That makes the stand out a lot more. I like it a lot.
Thanks guys... looks a lot "meatier" all-around. Rears are 1-1/2" deeper than the chrome rallys. They will take a bit of maintenance LOL, but I'm going to use ShineSeal (aka ZOOPSeal) on them and that should help. Plus they will probably only get wet when she's getting washed. Gotta crush the DS rear tailpipe a bit to give me some clearance. Next year I might go 9" Ford and might have to have the last section of pipe re-done anyways so the temp fix will be a temp fix.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:41 PM
SITDOWN SHUT UP HOLD ON

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 65
Likes (Received): 201
Dislikes (Given): 3
Dislikes (Received): 7

looks great!

"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen

US NAVY RETIRED