Build,beat,break,repeat..

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 8
Thanks (Received): 19
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 74
Dislikes (Given): 12
Dislikes (Received): 4

Yeah I'm not afraid of the block clearancing. Built a couple 383's before. That's my other reason for 383 vs 396. I've read the extra clearancing gets kinda scary.
I'm almost thinking now an Ohio crank super street kit with forged pistons upgrade, be just over a grand. Comes with a nodular iron crank but doesn't say what the rods are.
Do that and maybe just run one stage oF spray with a 150 shot or less. Need to call them and see what it's rated for. I'm not against 2,500-3,000 into the motor but I'm not dropping 5-6,000. At that point I'll sell it all as is and ls swap the car lol.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:11 PM
YOUR ALL GUNNA DIE!!!

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 192
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 587
Dislikes (Given): 25
Dislikes (Received): 83

rods are the most important part of any build for FI or Spray. cheap out on pistons and crank with the proper tuning can be OK but rods take All the force. h beam forged or dont bother. the extra r/s angle of the 383 will snap a PM rod under N/A power. and make sure its a 6" rod. 5.7" rod on a 3.75 stroke has an r.s of 1.52. Very bad for piston wear longevity and 6500 rpm will be about the limit. 6" rods are hard to find as a "KIT" for a 383 wich is why they sucked when i was looking. 6" rod on a 3.875 (396ci.) r/s is 1.55 may not seem like alot But makes a Drastic difference in engine performance at low to mid rpm.

1998 Firebird:buncha parts thats used to make it go fast..... not so much anymore.
BAAAAAA!!!!!!
Old 11-24-2012, 12:18 AM

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah that was my issue with the Ohio crank kit is they don't say what type of rods it comes with. Trust me, forged or nothing there I know that. No my first rodeo.

My biggest issue comes with finding balanced kits that are lt1 specific for a price I feel like paying. I'm not looking to dump $5-6,000 into the motor. $2,500-3,000 is the most I really want to go. Otherwise like I said I'd just swap a 6.0 into I and be done with it. Only using the lt1 cause I have a complete donor car. Makes life easier to not have to hunt down all the odds and ends.
Basically whatever my 3,000 into the motor gets me is what it gets me. That's just the motor, nothing else. Already have nitrous kit/fuel system and the 24x conversion will be separate from that budget. Really wish I knew exactly how ported my current heads were and by who. Would make life much easier for me right now. I'm going off the assumption they were home ported and I'll need to replace them. Must have something done I assume though to put down 319 at the wheels with a hot cam.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:47 AM
YOUR ALL GUNNA DIE!!!

Post Thanks / Like

319 threw a 6 speed is about right for stock heads and the hot cam. so if there ported they didnt gain anything. ive seen cam only auto put down close to that. So id say LE1's or better in the budget? and as far as a real LT1 balanced crank it will have to be balanced buy a local machine shop. almost no aftermarket kit is balanced like the LT1. wich is internal balance in front(no weight like a 400) and external in the rear. it will either be a custom balanced assembly or get the clutch you want and just have it zero balanced as an assembly like i did.

1998 Firebird:buncha parts thats used to make it go fast..... not so much anymore.
BAAAAAA!!!!!!
Old 11-24-2012, 06:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like

Ok. I thought hot cam only numbers were in the high 200's not low 300's. I honestly have no idea what's been done. Just going off what I was told when I bought it. May not really be much of anything done cause the motor went together 2 owners ago so we really don't know.
Yes though, I was planning on at least le1's if not le2's with matching cam package.

Or, the more I add things up maybe I'll just say f it and go forged rods/pistons, stock crank, keep my heads, drop the compression some, and do a budget turbo set up. I can buy an s400 series turbo and all the other odds and ends for less than what the heads/cam will cost. Or possibly a set of eBay twins. Seen a bunch of people having decent success with them lately. 12-14 psi on meth injection should get me over 600 at the flywheel.
Basically just looking for the best bang for the buck. Was thinking staying na but not dead set on it.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:30 AM
YOUR ALL GUNNA DIE!!!

Post Thanks / Like

turbo forged bottom stock heads and intake and cam. best bang for the buck!!! and will drive Like stock untill MASHED!

BAAAAAA!!!!!!
Old 11-25-2012, 07:15 AM

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvPizzaTimes10 View Post
turbo forged bottom stock heads and intake and cam. best bang for the buck!!! and will drive Like stock untill MASHED!
Yep, f it. That's what I'm starting to think. Forged rods/pistons, drop the compression a bit, keep my heads, possibly a custom ground cam and boost it.
That should get me in the 600 horse range at the flywheel with good gas or alchohol injection, and probably end up costing half as much as a forged stroker and le2's. That should be just fine for my beater car
Old 11-26-2012, 03:38 AM

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, done some more research. Screw the stroker.
Forged rods/pistons, stock crank, keep my heads, maybe custom ground cam.
eBay gt45 single turbo and all the extras all together will probably cost about the same as a fully forged stroker kit that you mentioned mike.
10-14 psi on meth injection should easily make 500+ at the wheels. Done deal.
Now I have my winter plans unless I manage to find a lot more free time to get the 68 together first. I'm thinking this and the wrx all squared away are more reasonable springtime goals though.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:47 PM
YOUR ALL GUNNA DIE!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome! sounds like a good plan! one i wish i did myself instead of the big cube N/A Junk!

BAAAAAA!!!!!!
Old 12-19-2012, 06:59 PM
Just another "old" LT1...

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 20
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 1

i was looking the other day for parts for a motor for my truck, flatlanderracing has an AWESOME deal going for balanced roatating assy's ready to go.........check it out
386ci w/Advanced Induction HCI #3190 Naturally Aspirated....9.77 @138.4
2010 LTX Shootout Modified Naturally Aspirated Champion
2011 LTX Shootout Modified Naturally Aspirated Champion
06 GTO M6 LS2 Torrid Red on Red--FAST 102, Advanced Induction HR Cam...433rwhp/410rwtq