Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 0
Default Little help on the Heads and Cam Plan Man

So next spring I would like to do heads and cam. I have a stock bottom end so I have to keep this tame enough to not be to harsh on the rest of the motor.

My question is..... LE2 Heads with 230/234 .592/.592 111 LSA - 2200-6400 RPM? OR something similar from AI. Not sure what because the AI site is not as well aimed towards beginners such as myself lol.

Also what supporting mods would I need to run this kind of setup as reliably as possible? I already have LT headers, ORY pipe, catback, full Intake also a 3200 stall and 373s. I know I will need a TB (58mm?), injectors (30lb? is this right?), Intake manifold port and polish, and a tune. But I have been reading that significant work needs to be made to the valvetrain.

Any price estimates/ breakdowns as to what all this will cost?

Any advice or info is greatly appreciated. If I am going to take this project on I want all the knowledge I can get and to get it done right the first time!

I am not worried about the 4L60E or the 10 bolt. Let um go boom haha!
Old 08-25-2010, 12:33 AM
YOUR ALL GUNNA DIE!!!

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 192
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 587
Dislikes (Given): 25
Dislikes (Received): 83

52mm tb will be more then enough. Have the intake port matched by who ever your getting the heads from. Set up a dyno tune with someone. Don't do mail order on a cam head setup. It will be closish but can cause problems.

1998 Firebird:buncha parts thats used to make it go fast..... not so much anymore.
BAAAAAA!!!!!!
Old 08-25-2010, 12:38 AM
F-Body Super-hero

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 2
Dislikes (Received): 4

Injectors and a fuel pump are gonna be a good idea, possibly an adjustable FPR. What do you have for suspension mods so far? I know it isn't what you want to hear but the engine should be the last thing you build for a car
Old 08-25-2010, 02:38 PM
Captain Buttsex!!!

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 58
Likes (Given): 17
Likes (Received): 307
Dislikes (Given): 7
Dislikes (Received): 17

email Lloyd and tell him what ur goals r and ask him what setup would get u meet them. Hell let u know what supporting mods r needed to make the numbers. Then it comes down to being able to put the power to the ground. Who cares how much HP u have if u cant get traction

06 CTSV
08 Spec B Sold
00 Yukon SLT Sold
05 STI Sold
02 WS6 Sold 12/1/12
94 1LE Sold 3/18/11
02 WRX Sold 2/18/12
Drag racing a car thats been totaled is like fucking a hooker with no rubber. Either way your a stupid fuck.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:51 PM
F-Body Super-hero

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 2
Dislikes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 941LE View Post
Who cares how much HP u have if u cant get traction
My point exactly! Money might be better spent elsewhere at this venture for you. Everybody always wants HP HP HP. I made that mistake on my first couple and then the car sits broken most of the time. with the T/A I built the car before the engine.Case in point when I had my car with just the GMPP hotcam in it I was running with or surpassing cars that had head work. They made 425RWH but couldn't put it to the ground, I made 385RWH and got every ounce of it to the pavement. End result was mid 11's on a $399.00 cam. Just saying it is worth thinking it through before you pull the trigger on anything
Old 08-25-2010, 05:14 PM
Rolling with over 50 posts

Post Thanks / Like

What do you suggest for suspension mods? I was planning on doing subframes, a dennys driveshaft and a wolfes 6 point over the winter. I know these arnt suspension components but thats all I have really considered for pre H/C swap mods. I was just going to wait for the 9" before I got to worried about traction and add a set of bogarts. Id love to do that now since I cant get any traction as it is but I would like to squeeze some more miles out of the 10 bolt lol and Im only guessing but I think the thing would be toast with a couple hard launches on drag tires. Ive only been to NED once to race anyways and dont plan on being there much. My best time was with my friend, a cooler with 4 gallons of water, 36 beers, a handle of vodka, and spare tire in the car. Ran a 13.6 at 101 with very little brake torquing and moderate wheelspin. I was told to loose the passenger and get a helmet hahah. Took all the shit out and couldnt do better than a 14.2 because I had zero traction with no brake torque at all.

I guess my dream would be to find all sorts of traction on the bogarts when the very rare time occurs that Im at the track and to be able to break um loose at a whim when on my ZR1 rims. The latter of the two being more important to me. Is it childish to want a car that will easily break um loose at 30mph? hehehe Oh and corner carving does nothing for me. Thats why I want a point and squirt muscle car and not a Porsche.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like

"mid 11's on a $399.00 cam."

mid 11's??? thats nuts! Ive heard of a few cam only lt1s doing low 12's and I thought that was excellent!
Old 08-25-2010, 05:41 PM
Captain Buttsex!!!

Post Thanks / Like

ur tires must suck then to b honest. i ran my best on my ZR1s w/ MT et street radials. before u start goin nuts on a cage should look at the little shit. control arms, phb, how worn is ur suspension? changing ur street tires to DRs will make a world of a differnce.

06 CTSV
08 Spec B Sold
00 Yukon SLT Sold
05 STI Sold
02 WS6 Sold 12/1/12
94 1LE Sold 3/18/11
02 WRX Sold 2/18/12
Drag racing a car thats been totaled is like fucking a hooker with no rubber. Either way your a stupid fuck.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like

I have 41k original miles so Id like to think that the suspension is hardly worn at all. The car was owned by an old lady and babied for the first 24k miles from new in 96-09. I am the second owner and I have brought it from 24k this time last year to 41k now. I have a truck now to so the car will hopefully only be seeing 5-7k miles a year from here on out. It has never been driven in the winter and I dont even let it see rain any more.

Yes the tires indeed suck. Sumitomos suck big time lol but no better tire to burn the shit out of at their price.

About the DR's... like I said I would guess that any good tire would make pretty quick work of the 10 bolt. I would like to get another year out of the 10 bolt before buying a 9" for a winter of 2011 install. Then after the 9" was in I would get another set of rims with drag slicks. I was thinking 15" bogarts because they look cool as hell, have reduced friction with front skinnys over my 275s, significant rotational mass reduction, and I would assume all sorts of traction with large sidewall slick rear tires. Which would all be great with the H/C swap. Then most importantly of all I can still roast my shitty cheap tires on my ZR1 rims as much as I would like.

The cage is kinda necessary because all verts under 13.49 (remember I am at best of 13.6 with about, oh idk, 250-300 extra pounds in the car and the worst tires I could buy) have to have a 5 point to run at NED. I wouldn't get it otherwise because I think a cage looks silly on a vert. So I plan on a bolt in version that I will put in when going to the track and take back out when I am not.

What is most important to keep in mind is that I am not very concerned with track times right now. Im not a track rat. I will be mainly going to car shows and cruises with a whole lot of burnouts and parking lot powerslides along the way. I guess what I am trying to say is that I dont really care if my car is as fast as it could be. Speed is fun but getting no grip at speed when I plant the pedal is much more fun to me. That being said on the very VERY rare occasion I do go to the track I would like to see grip. The hooligan aspect is whats most fun about these cars to me. I only drive the car when I want to go out and cause a ruckus lol.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:35 PM
Captain Buttsex!!!

Post Thanks / Like

ur 10 bolt will hold with a auto. i havent blown my 10 bolt yet in mine yet and mines with a 6spd.

06 CTSV
08 Spec B Sold
00 Yukon SLT Sold
05 STI Sold
02 WS6 Sold 12/1/12
94 1LE Sold 3/18/11
02 WRX Sold 2/18/12