Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 5
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 0
Default New Rear-End Direction

I had a line on a 9" Ford rear that was out of a '69 Z28, but when I got further into it, I decided to pass. Turned out that one of my local guys in town with a 383 Nova had a nephew with a couple of '72 Nova 8.5" 10-bolt rears, and only needed one. So I bought it, he delivered it, and it will be added to this year's list of projects. Have to clean/sandblast it, take it apart and see what I have. It's a 2.73 open, so I'm going to need a POSI unit and a 3.23 gearset. Once I check the axles for wear I'll know whether I'll stick with 28-splines and a GM POSI or go with new 30-splines and an Eaton Tru-Trac which is clutchless. Quick Performance offers bundles of POSI units/Gears which may be my best choice.

The Nova rear is an exact interchange with 1st Gen Camaros and this one has multi leaf perches, so I'm most likely going to be looking at either Hotchkis or Detroit Eaton bc Mike at DES can custom build a spring pack to your spec. Will also be putting rear discs on as part of the project... probably go with a Right Stuff kit, they are very competitive.

I've been doing a lot of research on these 8.5" rears, was very impressed finding out that a couple of big time drag racers are using them in 1000 RWHP mid-8 and 9 second Camaros. Not as strong as a Ford 9" but probably 95% as strong as a 12-bolt which have become overpriced. The difference between the 8.2" and the 8.5" is Night and day. Anyway, it'll be a nice upgrade and won't totally break the bank.