Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 0
Default LQ4 lifter carnage. What next?

(2000 Silverado LQ4, 136k miles, Auto. Bought with lifter knock)

Well the lifter knock mystery is solved. #2 cyl intake valve, so the second lifter in.
Just got it tore apart today. I had to use vice grips and a pry bar to get this sucker out. I scored the block a little but I'm hoping I can hone it out.

The cam is a little scored as well so a new one is in order.

The lifter bore isn't scored that bad. The cam is more beat up. It's worse at the peak of the lobe. I don't want to chew up another lifter and end up doing this again in 6 months. I got the truck like this and it looks like the guy who fixed it last didn't use the right lifter and only replaced one. The oiling hole is different, and not in the same spot. The body is different. Did this spin? or did the roller bearing go? I don't see any casting numbers on it. cheap POS?

I still have the stock cam out of my 2000 Camaro, the firing order is the same and it "should" work, but I fear it'll lose low end and gain top end. I could get a TSP low lift 218 cam for it. Or is there something else that would work just as good for a SLIGHT bump for the cam. No MS4, no Torquer cam... just a very mild upgrade. Still completely stock otherwise. I'm pretty open minded on this. I think the TSP 218 cam was like .588 lift on a 114.

I have a 10295 Melling oil pump I'm going to replace with it. I'm pretty scared about where the crumbs ended up. I HOPE and pray they ended up on the bottom of the oil pan and the pickup screen did its job. I'm going to drop the oil pan and clean it out. I don't want to chew up a brand new oil pump.

With all the lifters out I "should" be able to blow the lifter valley and cam valley with a blow gun and rinse it with some oil and it "should" wash any remaining crumbs down to the oil pan right? and then I can pull the pan and clean everything out.

Anyway.. Here's the pics.