Go Back   North East F-Body Association > Tech > Drivetrain

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-09-2010, 12:29 PM
smokinss smokinss is offline
The Detailer
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,881
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 162
Dislikes (Given): 3
Dislikes (Received): 3
Default Need Opinions on rearends. Chime in!!!

All right now that the car is back and running good. I am turning my attention to the rearend now. It wont be for awhile, most likely till the end of the year but I do have some good options down here that I am considering and taking into all accounts. Give me your thoughts on the following setups.

1. I have a good friend down here who just did a sweet 8.8 rear on his SS. He did the mini 4 link method and got rid of the tq arm. He used the stock 7.5 axle tubes and the stock 28 spline track lock too. Know I know the track lock isnt the greatest and the 28 spline is what gets me nervous about it. Now I could get a 31 spline unit out of a explorer for cheep but then custom axles from Moser are like 350 plus the cost of gears and him fabbing it up I will be in the 1500 range. I can still use the stock drive shaft with a conversion U joint for now. If I dont up grade he said he could do it for like 1200. Not a bad price but I dont think it will be bullet proof unless I spend the money on axles and a posi unit. If I dont upgrade it I will still pretty much have a 28 spline 10 bolt, only with a 8.8 ring gear. One good thing is that we went for a ride and its quiet and on bald ass Nittos the thing dead hooks on the street through 1st and 2nd. I was real surprised about how it rode not having the tq arm.


2. Buy the QP 9inch housing/axle package for 1000 and then I found third members depending options for around 600 or so. Then I will need some one to help me get the rear together and I am assuming that the bearings dont come pressed on. So I need to pay someone to do that for me too. And still buy lca drop brackets and have them welded on. So that option I am looking at around 1800 give or take.

3. My buddie Mike has a complete Moser 9inch for a f-body with a Locker/4.10s etc. He will sell that to me for 1800. That would be nice but not too sure how long he will have it around for and I know the Mosers do have some issues.

So thats were I stand as of now. I am doing all the reasearch I can to find the best options.
__________________
2000 SS Th350, FTI 4200 stall , cam, full bolt-ons, 150 wetshot, Moser 9inch/locker/4.11s, Slowhawk tuned. 493rwhp 570rwtq. 10.97 @ 127.7 1.58 60' and M6
10.84 @ 126.3 1.55 60' Th350 SOLD BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

New Toy - 06 Torrid Red Gto M6. 231/242 cam, Kooks, magnaflow, GForce, Monster stg2, lingenfelter cai, 411rwhp 385rwtq. 12.40@111
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-09-2010, 01:30 PM
84ta406 84ta406 is offline
Future club Dangle member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Worcester, MA
Posts: 1,802
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 58
Likes (Received): 54
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 3
Default

I would just get the Moser complete. Then you wont need to dick around with things. Also dont be afraid of taking a 9" apart and back together, its the easiest rear end in the world to work on.

4 bolts per axle, slide axle out, repeat other side.
Remove 3rd member bolts and remove 3rd member.. Done.

Pizza is gonna say stay away from the Moser though.
__________________
5.3L LSx, Fbody .500 cam, TH400, 4500 Stall, Moser 9"
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-09-2010, 02:42 PM
smokinss smokinss is offline
The Detailer
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,881
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 162
Dislikes (Given): 3
Dislikes (Received): 3
Default

Yeah I hear ya on that. The Moser would be nice but like I said if he has it when I get the money that thats what Ill do.
__________________
2000 SS Th350, FTI 4200 stall , cam, full bolt-ons, 150 wetshot, Moser 9inch/locker/4.11s, Slowhawk tuned. 493rwhp 570rwtq. 10.97 @ 127.7 1.58 60' and M6
10.84 @ 126.3 1.55 60' Th350 SOLD BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

New Toy - 06 Torrid Red Gto M6. 231/242 cam, Kooks, magnaflow, GForce, Monster stg2, lingenfelter cai, 411rwhp 385rwtq. 12.40@111
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-09-2010, 02:50 PM
My84Z's Avatar
My84Z My84Z is offline
Post Whore
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: dartmouth
Posts: 2,925
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 57
Likes (Given): 7
Likes (Received): 240
Dislikes (Given): 6
Dislikes (Received): 24
Default

do it right do it once. not like I get a nice 9 inch with all the options. get a full locker or a spool if you wanna drag race with sticky tires or else they will break.
__________________

2000 SS Procharger
98 Z vert turbo
07 TB SS cai catback and tune
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-09-2010, 03:32 PM
ILuvPizzaTimes10's Avatar
ILuvPizzaTimes10 ILuvPizzaTimes10 is offline
YOUR ALL GUNNA DIE!!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Randolph, MA
Posts: 9,380
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 192
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 587
Dislikes (Given): 25
Dislikes (Received): 83
Default

id say get a QP. have them build it wen your ready complete from axle to axle. aluminum center spooled or locker. i personally LOVE the spool now. after the first track day im convinced, and the little shit like small turns youn just get used to. its will run you about 2300 i think shipped to your door. im not 100% sure if the will put on your backing plate if you send them to him BUT im pretty sure they do. Ohh and that will include the relocation brackets for the LCA's. only problem with the Moser i have is there torque arm mount is terrible and will hit your floor over bumps. mine cleared perfectly. its up to you. but NEW to me seems better then someone elses "beat" on rear end.
__________________


1998 Firebird:buncha parts thats used to make it go fast..... not so much anymore.
BAAAAAA!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-09-2010, 04:10 PM
smokinss smokinss is offline
The Detailer
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,881
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 162
Dislikes (Given): 3
Dislikes (Received): 3
Default

The one time I talked to QP about a rear the guy I talked to seemed kinda out there. I asked him about the relocation brackets and he really didnt even know what the hell they were. LOL!!!! Ill have to call again and really talk to them about it into more detail.
__________________
2000 SS Th350, FTI 4200 stall , cam, full bolt-ons, 150 wetshot, Moser 9inch/locker/4.11s, Slowhawk tuned. 493rwhp 570rwtq. 10.97 @ 127.7 1.58 60' and M6
10.84 @ 126.3 1.55 60' Th350 SOLD BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

New Toy - 06 Torrid Red Gto M6. 231/242 cam, Kooks, magnaflow, GForce, Monster stg2, lingenfelter cai, 411rwhp 385rwtq. 12.40@111
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-10-2010, 12:37 AM
ILuvPizzaTimes10's Avatar
ILuvPizzaTimes10 ILuvPizzaTimes10 is offline
YOUR ALL GUNNA DIE!!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Randolph, MA
Posts: 9,380
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 192
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 587
Dislikes (Given): 25
Dislikes (Received): 83
Default

yeah they have a couple of new guy that bang the phones and there idiots. i got around that by asking specific axle questions. and they gave me to one of the builders. just ask for one of there builder/techs. and you'll be good. But i dunno you could also almost save a little bit of money. i dunno what you have for a torque arm or tranny crossmemeber? is the torque arm still on the tranny? if you get a mid west FAB 9 it comes with a tranny crossmember with torque arm relocation, and its own torque arm. and if you dont go over board with goodies and addons wich at our power level are UN-necessary then id give them a call over there the guys are again like QP Great to deal with. know there shit. and its not too much more then a QP for the FAB9 and again you get the torque arm etc.
__________________


1998 Firebird:buncha parts thats used to make it go fast..... not so much anymore.
BAAAAAA!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-10-2010, 12:39 AM
Batman's Avatar
Batman Batman is offline
F-Body Super-hero
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Whaley Lake, NY
Posts: 1,487
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 4
Default

My Moser 12 bolt has held up fine for the last 8 1/2 years and some 200 passes on slicks
__________________
-Nick
9/11/01 NEVER forget!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-10-2010, 12:46 AM
ILuvPizzaTimes10's Avatar
ILuvPizzaTimes10 ILuvPizzaTimes10 is offline
YOUR ALL GUNNA DIE!!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Randolph, MA
Posts: 9,380
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 192
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 587
Dislikes (Given): 25
Dislikes (Received): 83
Default

its the older version Nick. the housings have changed a bit and there QC has gone down to save a few bucks. everyone i know that has a Moser 12 bolt or 9" that DRIVES there car and its the newer (0-3years old) rear hates it. there pinion retention on the new housing is ridiculous. and you cant keep pinion bearing in them because of the way they casted there torque arm mounts. i dunno its just what ive reasearched and talk to people about for a LONG time before i went with QP. if i had the extra 8-900 or so id have gotten a FAB9 hands down.
__________________


1998 Firebird:buncha parts thats used to make it go fast..... not so much anymore.
BAAAAAA!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-10-2010, 12:56 AM
Batman's Avatar
Batman Batman is offline
F-Body Super-hero
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Whaley Lake, NY
Posts: 1,487
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 4
Default

I think I'd go with a Dana S60 if I did it again

http://www.spohn.net/shop/1998-2002-...-Complete.html
__________________
-Nick
9/11/01 NEVER forget!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.